+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Remembering 9/11

  1. Link to Post #1
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    15th November 2011
    Language
    English
    Posts
    6,896
    Thanks
    44,268
    Thanked 57,991 times in 6,808 posts

    Default Remembering 9/11

    Where were you on September 11th, 2001? What were you doing? How did you experience that day?

    That's what this thread is about.

    I did a brief stint working in IT from 2000 - 2001. A close friend of mine had a small business installing and maintaining networks for local companies, and building and repairing PCs. He operated out of his home garage that he converted into a workshop.

    I started that morning speed building two PCs that were needed by a client by the end of the day. It was about lunchtime (UK time), and I recall very clearly the precise moment I received the news of what was happening in New York. I was bedding a sound card into a motherboard. It's strange how such a mundane action could be recalled in such vivid detail. Of course, had it not been for what I was hearing at the same moment, I wouldn't have remembered it at all. The radio was on in the background. The announcer came on, overlapping the end of a song. A news bulletin was imminent, and the top headline: I quote "a plane has hit a building in New York."

    Wow, I thought, that's bad. How on earth did that happen? I imagined an out of control small plane, a turbo-prop perhaps, had gotten into difficulties, dipped to a dangerous altitude and clipped one of the high-rise buildings. Moments later, however, the news bulletin began. I discovered it was worse than that. A whole hell of a lot worse.

    I spent the rest of that day working. The frustrating thing: there was no TV. My mate Phil, who I worked with, didn't have a functioning set. He had one sitting in the living room but it was dead, had been for more than a week and he hadn't got round to dumping it and getting a new one. This was the days before live streaming of any kind, so the internet was out, too (we were on dial-up in those days anyway). So all I had for the next six hours was descriptions coming out of the radio.

    I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When the south tower collapsed, I think I had a small panic attack. I've been up those towers before, I knew them quite well. My parents had friends in New York, and we'd stayed with them on several occasions over the years, since the 70s, and they'd been over and stayed with us. One of their friends, who they introduced us to, worked in the south tower. A lively big-talking New Yorker in his fifties who had a weekend house upstate. A massive, beautiful house near Lake George where we spent many a blissful afternoon boating on the water. On one visit, in 1988, in the city itself a few days before we flew home, he invited us out for "brunch" (not a UK thing, I had no idea what brunch was). We went up to the 38th floor of the south tower and met him in his office. He gave us the grand tour. Afterwards, we went to eat and had a great time. Later, returning with him to his office, we decided to do the tourist thing and go up to the top of the tower. I took the following photos that day, initially in the plaza at ground level, then up on the observation deck.

    In this one, eerily, I captured an overflying plane, I think a DC-9.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	02NY88_newscan_IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	820.6 KB
ID:	57493

    Click image for larger version

Name:	01NY88_newscan_IMG.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	632.9 KB
ID:	57494

    Click image for larger version

Name:	03NY88_newscan_IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	530.3 KB
ID:	57495

    Click image for larger version

Name:	04NY88_newscan_IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	602.7 KB
ID:	57496

    Click image for larger version

Name:	05NY88_newscan_IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	1,014.6 KB
ID:	57497

    It became terribly apparent in my mind that the collapse of one of these colossal towers might just be one of the worst things that had ever happened. Because I had no images, and no clear idea of exactly 'how' it had collapsed, I imagined a sideways topple, like a felled tree. How many other buildings did this destroy? How many lives? Was our friend who worked on the 38th floor caught up in all this? Was he dead? It was a cool September day in that breezy garage, but I remember I began to sweat.

    At intervals I rushed indoors to update Phil and his wife, also home that day, looking after their two year old son. I remember telling them another plane had gone down. This one had hit the Pentagon. And soon after, a fourth plane had crashed, this one in the country somewhere, and they were saying it may have been shot down. Authorities, I explained, were also very worried about yet another plane they couldn't account for.

    It suddenly seemed to me like the world I'd known didn't exist anymore. What the hell was happening, how was it happening, who was behind it, and why? In those days I was already very interested and involved in spiritual matters and metaphysics. I'd been hearing for years that the long-prophesied "end times" were coming, the New Age of Aquarius and all that. Was this it? Was this moment, right now, the beginning of the end of the old world and the start of World War III?

    I had to wait until I got home that evening to see the real images of the events of that day. What I'd only seen until then in my mind's eye. Shocking. Calamitous. Horror beyond description. I only had to wait a little while longer to receive word that our friend was not at work when the south tower was hit. He'd not been in the city at all that day, and was perfectly safe and well. One piece of good news on a day full of bad.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

  2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (11th September 2026), BMJ (11th September 2026), Denise/Dizi (11th September 2026), earthdreamer (12th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Harmony (11th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), Mike Gorman (11th September 2026), mountain_jim (11th September 2026), Open Minded Dude (11th September 2026), petra (11th September 2026), skogvokter (12th September 2026), Sue (Ayt) (11th September 2026), Tintin (11th September 2026), Victoria (11th September 2026)

  3. Link to Post #2
    UK Moderator/Librarian/Administrator Tintin's Avatar
    Join Date
    3rd June 2017
    Location
    Project Avalon library
    Language
    English
    Age
    56
    Posts
    8,533
    Thanks
    92,177
    Thanked 73,324 times in 8,502 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    I had gone out to lunch at around 1pm GMT, from memory, and had taken the full hour. Back at my desk, Thomas - a colleague - who worked on the floor above, came running in and said "Planes have hit the towers in New York". This had all happened while I was out enjoying lunch so I was largely oblivious up until that point.

    Our organisation had arranged to set up a TV in the "Member's Room" on the ground floor, and it was there we witnessed the towers' collapse, as we thought at the time, although disintegration/vapourisation would be more accurate given what we've subsequently deduced over years of research.

    I then made my way down to the coffee machine in our basement level and bumped into an American colleague passing by, and clearly remember saying, verbatim: "What have they gone and done now?" We exchanged a knowing look.

    I along with many others were caught up in the emotion of the event, and still processing those terrible scenes; I then remember a few days later going with a friend to sign the book of condolences at the then US Embassy. I don't recall exactly when it was on the day itself but I clearly remember seeing Danny Lombardi on TV, a volunteer fireman, being interviewed on-site at the WTC and remarking to my then landlady: "Wow, that's the guy who stayed at our apartment a couple of nights when we were in New York." (That was late-April/early May 2001). He said he lost a "brother", presumably a fire department or ladder colleague.

    About a day or so later on, I think - it could have been later that week - I started making calls to folks I'd met on my previous visits to NYC who were all thankfully safe and well.

    I'd never been to the World Trade Centre although I do remember one very early Sunday morning, approx 6am, being somewhat tipsy after an all-nighter near Greenwich Village during that Spring 2001 trip, and clearly recall seeing the towers looming ever nearer, then realising I had headed the wrong way onto Greenwich Street, not Greenwich Avenue. The buildings even being viewed a good mile or so away were mighty impressive.

    One had no idea that'd be very nearly the last I would see of them. I do have photos of the towers that were taken from atop the Empire State building but I do not seem to have digitised them, yet.
    “If a man does not keep pace with [fall into line with] his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away.” - Thoreau

  4. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (11th September 2026), BMJ (11th September 2026), Denise/Dizi (11th September 2026), Ewan (16th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Harmony (11th September 2026), Inversion (11th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (11th September 2026), Mike Gorman (11th September 2026), mountain_jim (11th September 2026), petra (11th September 2026), skogvokter (12th September 2026), Sue (Ayt) (11th September 2026), Victoria (11th September 2026)

  5. Link to Post #3
    Australia Avalon Member BMJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    4th May 2010
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    55,679
    Thanked 17,149 times in 2,672 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    Strangely my best friend of then and still now had her first mental break down on 9/11, I think the cabal was conjuring bad woo on the day and harvesting it.
    So I was watching most of the event live on tv in emergency late at night here in Sydney from Westmead Hospital.

    I can tell you everyone there was in shock and disbelief it felt like it might of well had been Sydney that had been hit thats how deeply we were shocked by 9/11 for days after the event.

    In regards to the pentagon, well I saw that live and that was not an aircraft that hit the pentagon.
    Last edited by BMJ; 11th September 2026 at 15:16.
    In hoc signo vinces / In this sign thou shalt conquer

  6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (11th September 2026), Denise/Dizi (11th September 2026), Ewan (16th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), petra (11th September 2026), skogvokter (12th September 2026), Sue (Ayt) (11th September 2026), Tintin (11th September 2026), Victoria (11th September 2026)

  7. Link to Post #4
    United States Avalon Member Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    17th August 2019
    Age
    49
    Posts
    372
    Thanks
    19,608
    Thanked 3,373 times in 369 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    Thank you for this beautiful post, Mark. I had just pulled over to watch the sunrise for 9/11 this morning when I saw your incredible photographs.


    What an extraordinary commemoration and vantage point of the towers you've shared. It is cathartic to read your and Tintin's perspectives from that day. 



    On September 11, 2001, I was in university. It was heavily overcast that morning. Grey skies and heavy mist with low hanging clouds all around. 

    When the first tower was hit, I was sitting in my car in a parking lot outside of our university anthropology lab.

    Remembering it brings to mind just how much of the world we knew before then was lost; life went on for most, but the liveliness, the carefree dreams, an era that felt more harmonious between people and full of possibility for our international relationships appears gone. The naivete. What once seemed honest came crashing down. All of it was drastically altered. 

    I can still feel the gripping fear that day of not knowing whether my father was okay. He was fine. So many others weren't.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20260911_065455-1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	57498  
    Last edited by Victoria; 11th September 2026 at 20:27. Reason: Oof.regretted post

  8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Victoria For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (11th September 2026), BMJ (16th September 2026), Ewan (16th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th September 2026), petra (11th September 2026), Tintin (16th September 2026)

  9. Link to Post #5
    Canada Avalon Member
    Join Date
    7th July 2016
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,670
    Thanks
    10,209
    Thanked 8,453 times in 2,731 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    I was working scanning book covers into a website. No one called to tell me what was going on, I just kept on working away.. I knew something was happening but didn't realize I should probably stop working and pay attention. It wasn't until after I got off work until I found out what's going on. It was so surreal.. I didn't even know how to process it.

  10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to petra For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), BMJ (16th September 2026), Ewan (16th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (12th September 2026), Tintin (16th September 2026), Victoria (11th September 2026)

  11. Link to Post #6
    Australia Avalon Member BMJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    4th May 2010
    Posts
    2,835
    Thanks
    55,679
    Thanked 17,149 times in 2,672 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    Quote Posted by BMJ (here)
    Strangely my best friend of then and still now had her first mental break down on 9/11, I think the cabal was conjuring bad woo on the day and harvesting it.
    So I was watching most of the event live on tv in emergency late at night here in Sydney from Westmead Hospital.

    I can tell you everyone there was in shock and disbelief it felt like it might of well had been Sydney that had been hit thats how deeply we were shocked by 9/11 for days after the event.

    In regards to the pentagon, well I saw that live and that was not an aircraft that hit the pentagon.

    Remembrance of 9/11 on September 11, 2026
    Australian Defence Force (ADF) and U.S Marine Corps (USMC) members came together along with over 100,000 people at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), for the first regular season NFL game in Australia, commemorating 25 years since the September 11 attacks, honouring those who lost their lives and reflecting on our enduring alliance.

    Link: https://images.defence.gov.au/assets...&Type=Filename

    Link: https://images.defence.gov.au/assets...&Type=Filename
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20260911raaf8707113_0121.jpg.iCf4nPqFMhH5vwtlYBMA.C-9jpxH7Ry.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	57510   Click image for larger version

Name:	20260911raaf8707113_0098.jpg.iCeXq--FMhH5vwtlYBMA.hlcTkp8Ik9.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	57509  
    Last edited by BMJ; 16th September 2026 at 13:00.
    In hoc signo vinces / In this sign thou shalt conquer

  12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BMJ For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), Ewan (16th September 2026), Harmony (16th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), kudzy (16th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2026), Tintin (16th September 2026)

  13. Link to Post #7
    Ireland Avalon Member aoibhghaire's Avatar
    Join Date
    25th October 2015
    Location
    Valdepeñas de Jaén, SPAIN
    Posts
    941
    Thanks
    15,547
    Thanked 7,138 times in 928 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    I thought of refreshing my memory and sharing again on PA from over 10 years ago.

    Research by a friend of mine and confirmed privately by the author listed all the key persons that orchestrated the 9/11. See the background to Apostles of Power: Theft of an Empire.

    https://projectavalon.net/forum4/sho...re#post1373343

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aoibhghaire For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), Ewan (16th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026)

  15. Link to Post #8
    Scotland Avalon Member Ewan's Avatar
    Join Date
    24th February 2015
    Location
    Ireland
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,895
    Thanks
    90,762
    Thanked 23,462 times in 2,850 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    I must be a really bad man. I was in Thailand when this happened and was out drinking along one of the main canals when I walked into a bar that had this event unfolding live on the TV.

    I was more amused than horrified believing that it was time America started getting a little karma for everything it had been doing around the world. The picture flickered and the signal was lost. I said, 'Oops, America just went offline.' Only a couple of people laughed, you could feel an atmosphere forming. I stayed quiet after that and left after my drink. Discovering the following day that particular bar was where most of the American expats drank. According to the barstaff I was lucky I did not end up face down in the 'klong', (canal).

    I should also point out, in my defense your honour, this was in my awakening period. When I had been disabused of my notions of reality and realised everything we believed to be true was built on foundations of sand.

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ewan For This Post:

    aoibhghaire (16th September 2026), Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Jaak (16th September 2026), Johnnycomelately (16th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2026), Rizotto (16th September 2026)

  17. Link to Post #9
    UK Avalon Member
    Join Date
    2nd January 2011
    Location
    In the playground
    Language
    English
    Posts
    3,063
    Thanks
    40,842
    Thanked 23,852 times in 2,950 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    11th September 2001 fell on a Tuesday, a working day. In London it started like the day before, up at 6.30am, at work at a Company in London Bridge, where I worked as office manager.

    The morning passed normally, although our Chairman and MD spent the morning at another company in Huntingdon before travelling to our workplace. They arrived just after lunch at around 2pm and said it was on the car radio news that a light aircraft had crashed into one of the Twin Towers in New York. We had no idea at that time what was really happening but the Chairman had a TV in his office and switched on. Shortly afterwards the second plane hit the South Tower, which is when it dawned on us – everybody – that it was deliberate and not an accident. What did it mean? We were all numb, and horrified at seeing the falling bodies and crumbling skyscrapers, but continued to keep abreast the news as it developed until it was time to go home.

    I remember feeling concern for my teenaged children, both at school in Pimlico where they caught the bus over Vauxhall Bridge, passing the MI5 building. We still had a landline and I left a message on our answerphone for them. When I got home later that evening, every TV station showed the planes crashing into the towers over and over. My ex husband said straight away that it was an inside job but I couldn’t believe anyone could do that to their own people even though I’d watched “live” as WTC7 came down at the same time it was being announced on BBC that it had already come down and thought that very odd. How naïve I was then, even though I’d been convinced from the outset that Diana’s death in 1997 had been no accident. But nevertheless the sheer scale of the attack wiped any suspicions from my mind. My ex husband, btw, had an engineering background and evidently it was the way the buildings fell that convinced him the official story was a pack of lies.
    "Is there an idea more radical in the history of the human race than turning your children over to total strangers whom you know nothing about, and having those strangers work on your child's mind, out of your sight, for a period of twelve years?" John Taylor Gatto

  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grapevine For This Post:

    aoibhghaire (16th September 2026), Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), Ewan (17th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (16th September 2026)

  19. Link to Post #10
    Administrator Mark (Star Mariner)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    15th November 2011
    Language
    English
    Posts
    6,896
    Thanks
    44,268
    Thanked 57,991 times in 6,808 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    Quote Posted by Tintin (here)
    I do have photos of the towers that were taken from atop the Empire State building but I do not seem to have digitised them, yet.
    I have a bunch. Earlier, I was looking for the pics of me and a mate on the observation deck of the south tower taken in '98, exactly three years to the week before 9/11. I also have several hours of camcorder footage from that same trip, including a long walk from Central Park to Lower Manhattan, and all the way up to the top of the WTC. I still have those old 8mm tapes somewhere, unfortunately, like you I never digitised them. New York City at the end of the 20th century, and the WTC three years before their demise. They might make for interesting viewing today. I haven't seen that footage in 28 years.
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
    ~ Jimi Hendrix

  20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mark (Star Mariner) For This Post:

    aoibhghaire (16th September 2026), Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), Ewan (17th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Inversion (17th September 2026), Jaak (16th September 2026), kudzy (17th September 2026), Tintin (17th September 2026)

  21. Link to Post #11
    Avalon Member East Sun's Avatar
    Join Date
    13th May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Language
    English
    Posts
    2,226
    Thanks
    8,146
    Thanked 9,391 times in 1,828 posts

    Default Re: Remembering 9/11

    I worked on the WTC buildings when they were being built. I went on to do other things.
    I will never forget how I felt when they were "DESTROYED"
    and still do...
    I can get angry at "them" faceless, nameless ones and hope they got or will get what they deserve.

    I feel worse today than I did then about what happened, but it is all in the past and the world
    still turns.

    Bad things happen, but so does good things. That's life for us.
    Question Everything, always speak truth... Make the best of today, for there may not be a tomorrow!!! But, that's OK because tomorrow never comes, so we have nothing to worry about!!!

  22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to East Sun For This Post:

    Bill Ryan (16th September 2026), Ewan (17th September 2026), grapevine (16th September 2026), Inversion (17th September 2026), kudzy (17th September 2026), Mark (Star Mariner) (17th September 2026), Michi (17th September 2026), Tintin (17th September 2026)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts