+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)

  1. Link to Post #1
    Netherlands Unsubscribed
    Join Date
    16th January 2012
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,688
    Thanks
    7,860
    Thanked 12,625 times in 2,401 posts

    Default Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)


  2. Link to Post #2
    Avalon Member sigma6's Avatar
    Join Date
    16th July 2011
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    3,428
    Thanks
    8,906
    Thanked 12,777 times in 2,905 posts

    Default Re: Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)

    awesome, I knew I reached a milestone when I finally got to read this series... classic Asimov
    We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time
    By faith we understand things which are seen were not made of the things which are visible

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sigma6 For This Post:

    778 neighbour of some guy (13th October 2013), Crystine (15th October 2013)

  4. Link to Post #3
    France Avalon Retired Member
    Join Date
    24th January 2011
    Posts
    5,403
    Thanks
    12,061
    Thanked 31,028 times in 5,009 posts

    Default Re: Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)

    Erwin Schrodinger in What is Life? says (as I recall) that we are the size we are so that we are made up of enough cells to avoid too many accidents happening, so as to operate efficiently, and hence somewhat predictably. Asimov's galactic population offers an interesting application of this principle to the human population as a whole. The evolution of civilization (the Foundation) becomes predictable, up to a point, the point where a hidden guiding hand is needed (the Second Foundation) - or not (mind control by the Mule). And of course, the increasing presence of humanoid robots is another Asimov feature that has relevance beyond the realms of fiction.

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Post:

    778 neighbour of some guy (14th October 2013), Crystine (15th October 2013), Delight (14th October 2013), Limor Wolf (14th October 2013)

  6. Link to Post #4
    Avalon Member Delight's Avatar
    Join Date
    12th January 2012
    Posts
    6,766
    Thanks
    9,486
    Thanked 45,608 times in 6,402 posts

    Default Re: Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)

    Thanks Neighbour! I loved reading this series as a teenager.
    Are you familiar with the short story "The question"....here it is......

    Quote The Last Question
    By Isaac Asimov
    This is by far my favorite story of all those I have written. After all, I undertook to tell several trillion
    years of human history in the space of a short story and I leave it to you as to how well I succeeded. I also undertook
    another task, but I won't tell you what that was lest l spoil the story for you.
    It is a curious fact that innumerable readers have asked me if I wrote this story.
    They seem never to remember the title of the story or (for sure) the author, except for the vague
    thought it might be me. But, of course, they never forget the story itself especially the
    ending. The idea seems to drown out everything -- and I'm satisfied that it should.
    http://www.physics.princeton.edu/ph115/LQ.pdf

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delight For This Post:

    778 neighbour of some guy (14th October 2013), Crystine (15th October 2013), soleil (15th October 2013)

  8. Link to Post #5
    United States Avalon Member johnf's Avatar
    Join Date
    11th January 2011
    Location
    Oregon, USA
    Posts
    1,211
    Thanks
    8,460
    Thanked 6,373 times in 1,116 posts

    Default Re: Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)

    This series has great psychohistorical implications!
    lol

    jf
    "I am fascinated by religion. (That's a completely different thing from believing in it!)" Douglas Adams

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to johnf For This Post:

    778 neighbour of some guy (14th October 2013), Crystine (15th October 2013), soleil (15th October 2013)

  10. Link to Post #6
    United States Deactivated
    Join Date
    3rd October 2013
    Location
    East of the Mississippi
    Posts
    421
    Thanks
    2,977
    Thanked 1,570 times in 344 posts

    Default Re: Isaac Asimov Foundation trilogy, BCC radio Adaptation (8 hrs)

    You quoted Douglas Adams. Hitch hikers Guide to the Galaxies. A tongue in cheek series. Sad he passed before he wrote more.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts