Good, glad to hear that. I've seen some pretty high costs associated with websites, so their numbers must have been appreciably different than this one here.Posted by Paul (here)
Disk space is cheap enough - the space needed for the entire website, including multiple geographically distributed backups, costs perhaps a few hundred dollars per year. The compute power, web hosting services and network bandwidth also cost, of course, but are sold in sufficiently large increments that these costs are for all practical purposes constant, for any work load our forum is likely to generate.Posted by Carmody (here)
for example I WISH PEOPLE WOULD CUT THEIR BEHAVIOR of re-posting big posts with complex linkage and imagery ....from the given post they are quoting. have some respect, folks. This stuff is not free, even though it is cheaper than it used to be. Data rates are going up, as costs come down, so it evens out that it is still expensive.
The key expense I worry about is the mental bandwidth of forum members and readers. We strive to keep the forum content useful and interesting, in order that as many people as possible may find as much of value here, in various ways, as we are able.
In one company, I had paid at least $50k toward the constantly evolving website and it's design. Now, to a large degree, someone else is benefiting from that cost and work. (mutter mutter, grumble grumble)




